“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Saturday, July 28, 2012

THE HUNGER GAMES DISCUSSION SATURDAYS: Finnick in Mockingjay


So now its The Hunger Games Discussion Saturdays! This is a meme about discussing The Hunger Games different topics every week. Hosted by us, here at 2 B Read.


** I advise you that from now on are all EXTREME spoilers. Please stop reading if you have not read Mockingjay (the third book in The Hunger Games Trilogy)**

This weeks discussion question:

 Was Finnick's death really necessary?

.....................................................................................................................................
Kait


Now this is hard to say.......yes, I do think his death was necessary. I do because as of that time in the book, they hadn't lost anyone that you had known (and come to care about immensely). The book was coming to a big part of the story development......attacking the Capitol....and it was tense and fast paced and.......something terrible needed to happen. They had been still (sleeping/resting) for too long and now was the time for tragedy....the perfect opportunity for Finnick to die. Katniss gave him the best gift she could at that point, which was immediate death. She couldn't save him but she could end his suffering.

Now while being a selfish reader, I would say, "NOOOO! FINNICK DIDN'T DESERVE TO DIE! I HATE SUZANNE FOR EVEN THINKING IT UP! FINNICK'S DEATH WAS IN NO WAY NECESSARY! IT WAS JUST ANOTHER THING THAT SUZANNE WROTE TO MAKE THE BOOK HORRIBLE! IT HAD NO PURPOSE!!"

but that would be my angry reader side.....but the person who wrote the first paragraph and is above all entirely right, is my writer self....the one who understands a stories necessity and underlying development. And even though I didn't enjoy Finnick's death (in fact it was accompanied by  gasping, sobbing, and book chucking) I understand why it was there and I don't hate Suzanne for it, because it was a smart move.
(it keeps the reader alert.......no chance I was about to get bored reading that book.)

.................................................................................................................................
Mari
Ugh you all know I love Finnick- me and him had like this whole love at first read thing that RARELY EVER happens but you know I see why it had to happen- I didn't WANT it to happen but for those of you who don't understand that books have to have tragedy here it is written out:
Book= Fun happiness excitement love; sadness bookchucking crying; Laughing
It's all a perfect cycle: Happiness gets the reader to like the book, but the reader isn't gonna keep reading if the book is just boring. Just like a reader is going to stop reading if the book is CONSTANT TRAGEDY! Also, a book can't consist of JUST humor. And of course if a book has none of these elements it becomes what we here call a:
Buttish Book
And no book should ever have to be A Buttish Book! Please Comment!
<3 Mari





...................................................................................................................................
Rach





Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

3 comments:

  1. I don't think his death was necessary! It was like in the last 50 pages of the book Suzanne Collins decided to kill off, like everybody lol It made me so sad! Finnick was my favourite character!
    http://17hnak.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I don't know. On the one hand, I do see why he had to die, and I agree with the decision. On the other hand, to me, it felt more like an example of "oh crap, I'm nearing the end of my book and I realize I haven't killed enough main characters yet... let's hurry and pick one now, oh yes, Finnick will do, won't he?" I think he would have deserved a different death. Not just being blown out with crappy lizards in a hole, out of 'sight' of the reader.

    In a way, I got the same feeling about Prim's death (which happened just too out of the blue to elicit anything else than a brutal drop in my suspension of disbelief).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Yzabei.......Prim's death was brutal, hard to get what had happened, and just no time to understand anything...I had to go back and read it three times before it made some sense and even then it was bad..

    ReplyDelete

Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

We love love love your comments! When you leave them it just makes us so happy! Thanks for visiting!

-Kait, Mari, and Rach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...