“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Year of the Great Seventh by Teresa Orts

 
The Year of the Great Seventh by Teresa Orts
Summary from: goodreads.com

Sophie has always felt out of step—an outsider, even amongst friends in her high school with all the hype about celebrity culture. Her life in L.A. seems to have been already written for her, but when her junior year starts, it all takes a drastic turn. When she crosses paths with the school's heartthrob, Nate Werner, they fall for each other in a way neither can understand. What they don’t know is that by giving in to their desires, they are unlocking an ancient Egyptian prophecy that threatens to return Earth to the dark ages.

To undo the curse, Nate and Sophie embark on an adventure that takes them across the country. But their quest is not only to save the world as they know it. It is also a fight for their very survival. Behind the scenes, there are those that are counting on them to fail.


To find out more about the book and Teresa Orts visit her website.
 
...........................................................................................................................
 
 
 
The Year of the Great Seventh was definitely interesting. I don’t know what I expected going in but what I got surprised me.

I was gripped by the lure of possible paranormalcy, but also thrown off by some of the character actions and redundancy. What kept me reading most was the fact that the mythology element hadn’t yet come into complete play…like the story wasn’t all the way there and I was waiting for that to happen. It didn’t, until the end when things began to unravel and I wish there had been more throughout the book. It took a little while for me to feel like we had reached a solid ‘middle of the book’ but by then we were almost to the end. (I think that’s a contribution of the lack of mythology)

The characters seemed, originally, to have potential to be strong and full and have the ability to form emotional ties to me but it felt like to me that something was off about them. Sometimes they said odd things or random events happened that I just wasn’t sure where they came from. That really took away some vital story connection for me.

However, that being said I did enjoy the book and something kept me reading. The ending was really a cliff hanger and I plan to read the next book. I hope the mythology is more prominent in that one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...