“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Friday, July 20, 2012

THE HUNGER GAMES DISCUSSION SATURDAYS: Did Mockingjay Suck?

Hey hey it's Hunger Games Discussion Saturday's! (well it's a tad early because I am going away tomorrow and won't be able to fit it in but here it is)

'What is that?' you ask? Well here my friend is the definition: Discussing different The Hunger Games topics every week. Hosted by us, here at 2 B Read. Leave your answer in the comments! (or a link to your own Hunger Games Discussion Saturday)


This weeks discussion topic (asked by many people around the world) is:

Is it just me, or did Mockingjay kinda suck?
........................................................................................................................................
Kait

Yes....it is just you. Mockingjay did not suck. In fact it was written rather beautifully and is captivating-ly terrible. But if what you meant by 'suck' was 'terribly, uncontrollably, rip-my-heart-out-why-don't-you-Suzanne, sad'  than....I see your point. But I believe everything in Mockingjay was totally 100% necessary. Even minor deaths had great impacts on Katniss and they were important individually.

 You may say, "Well everything just went so wrong all at once and I couldn't tolerate it." That's because it was supposed to be that way. What Mockingjay was, was War. Cold, hard war with many casualties. Snow was no longer trying to put up a wall around Katniss's uprising. It was so out of control that there was no way he could keep it down and in result, Mockingjay was born. You weren't going to get the ending handed to you neatly...it was messy, and it always was going to be because if you truly know the world of Panem then you would understand that it's humanity at it's worst and there is no easy way to end a trilogy/novel of that proportion with a painless ending. It would go against the grain.

That's why I respect everything in Mockingjay....and even though some of it made me tear my hair out, I loved every minute of it and wouldn't change a thing.

Here is a spoiler reason as well. Highlight between the brackets to read.

{ basically why I think people don't like it also is because there was an unfair surprise around every corner—literally non-stop—and Katniss hardly experienced any joy anymore....it's hard to when you've lost everything you love. }
.......................................................................................................................................
Mari
Like Kait said, it's just you, because Suzzanne Collins has a great writing style she kept consistent so that's not what could possibly be wrong.  Second, there was action-- so don't go saying it was boring. And you really got to see Katniss mature completely, she is no longer the little girl that used to go hunting with her father and not understand the meaning of the song about the guy that got hung! SHE'S NOT THAT KATNISS ANYMORE! She is strong. She is a mockingjay, and everything that happened NEEDED to happen because, face it, the whole idea for the triology is based on something horrible- teens killing teens for pleasure- not pleasant. So, how could anyone expect a happy, puppy dogs and rainbows ending with such a hard-core and intense idea.  I feel that if you didn't like it, it's probably because you weren't ready for the series try again later.
<3 Mari





.......................................................................................................................................
Rach





Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

2 comments:

  1. Personally Mockingjay was my favorite of the series. And I was genuinely outraged and then surprised at what happened in the ending. Most of the time plots can become repetitive as tropes are repeated in book after book. In Mockingjay you don't get that at all. There were numerous things that surprised me in the ending and I really loved that. And as much as I hated seeing some of my favorite characters get offed, like you said, it's war and that's what happens in war. Honestly I would have been disappointed with the book if people didn't die. It's a weird thing to say but sometimes it's better to approach fiction realistically than just try and sugar-coat everything in an attempt to make everyone happy.
    I loved Mockingjay and I don't get why everyone else doesn't. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! *SPOILER ALERT* Finnick was one of those characters. It really hurt but alot of people say this to me,
    "It was boring."
    And I want to shake them/slap them upside the head because they clearly didn't read it carefully since really it was war and war hurts but it doesn't consist of just nothing happening so therefore it CAN'T be boring!
    <3 Mari

    ReplyDelete

Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

We love love love your comments! When you leave them it just makes us so happy! Thanks for visiting!

-Kait, Mari, and Rach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...